Newsroom 101 (“the Site”) is an online service provided by Newsroom 101 LLC, subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions set forth below. Please read this document carefully before accessing or using the Site. By accessing this web site, you are agreeing to be bound by these web site Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in web sites associated with Newsroom 101 are protected by applicable copyright and trademark law.
Your password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password, and you will be responsible for all usage of your user account and/or user name, whether authorized or not authorized by you. You agree to immediately notify Newsroom 101 of any unauthorized use of your user account, username or password.
You are responsible for remembering your username and password. You can reset your password if you forget it. Your email address (the one you signed up with) may be used as your username, whether or not you have entered a separate user name. Newsroom 101 can provide limited support to users who repeatedly lose track of their usernames or passwords or do not follow the self-help instructions. When it is available, such help may be delayed. Keep track of your username and password.
Enrollment period. Students enrolled in a course that uses Newsroom 101. Your enrollment period is the duration of the course, or 120 days, whichever is shorter. Enrolling late does not give you an extended period. In accordance with our privacy policies student data will be deleted after the course is over.
Enrollment period. Users not enrolled in a course. Your enrollment period is 120 days, except your enrollment may be terminated if 30 continuous days pass in which you do not log onto the site. (This situation usually arises only when a person finishes Newsroom 101 quickly, and the account remains open but unused.)
Refund policy. We understand that college students sometimes enroll in courses and then drop them, generally during the add-drop period. Upon request, we will issue a refund if you enroll in Newsroom 101 while enrolled in a course requiring it, then drop that course during the first three weeks of the term, contingent on the following. No refunds will be issued if you:
- stay enrolled for three weeks or longer.
- complete a quarter or more of the units
- enroll less than 30 days from the end of a course requiring Newsroom 101
- have received a refund before.
If we are charged a service fee by Paypal for making this refund, that fee will be deducted from the refund.
Persons who enroll in Newsroom 101 on their own, not in conjunction with a course, are not eligible for a refund.
Enrollment may not be transferred or shared. When you enroll in Newsroom 101, you are paying for only your own use of the material for the duration of a course or 120 days, whichever is less. You may not transfer your enrollment in Newsroom 101 to anyone else, permit anyone else to log in using your account, or permit anyone else to complete any exercises using your account. Allowing unauthorized use of your account could result in termination of your enrollment.
Enroll early in the semester. You agree, whenever possible, to begin Newsroom 101 early, so that you can learn how to log in, learn how the exercises work, and get all your questions answered early. Do not put off starting the exercises, and be sure to spread them throughout the semester. Do not cram a lot of exercises into the last week or two. Students enrolling after the first two weeks of the semester may find support limited or delayed.
The site keeps logs. In the normal course of delivering Newsroom 101, the Moodle software logs many of the things you do on the site, and the IP address you log in from. These password-protected logs are an integral part of the educational software and are accessible only to teachers, other authorized personnel, and course administrators. If you are using Newsroom 101 outside of a course, your logs are accessible only to the Newsroom 101 administrator in the normal course of maintaining the site, and any teacher authorized to view them. These logs will be deleted from the online site after the course is over, along with other student information.
Newsroom 101 is not for children. Newsroom 101 was designed to be used by college-age students and adults. It may not be used by persons younger than 18, except those under the direct supervision of an adult who is responsible for their actions and their protection. In such use, Newsroom 101 disclaims all responsibility, and responsibility lies with the supervising adult. By using Newsroom 101, you affirm that you are 18 or older, or you are under the direct supervision of an adult who is responsible for your actions.
2. Use License
- Permission is granted to temporarily access the materials (information or software) on Newsroom 101 LLC’s web sites for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only, while engaged as an enrolled participant in the Newsroom 101 activities. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify, adapt, or copy the materials;
- use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on Newsroom 101 LLC’s web site;
- use the site in a manner that constitutes or facilitates cheating;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transfer, demonstrate, or display the materials to another person in any for, except as a teacher displaying material to students who have paid to use Newsroom 101, or as a teacher demonstrating Newsroom 101 to other teachers;
- “mirror” the materials on any other server.
- This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by Newsroom 101 LLC at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format. The provisions of copyright, use of the service, and indemnification shall survive any termination of this agreement.
- You agree to grant to Newsroom 101 LLC a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license, with the right to sub-license, to reproduce, distribute, transmit, create derivative works of, publicly display and publicly perform any materials and other information (including, without limitation, ideas contained therein for new or improved products and services) you submit to the Site (such as bulletin boards, forums and newsgroups) or by contact with Newsroom 101 or its administrators by all means and in any media now known or hereafter developed. You also grant to Newsroom 101 LLC the right to use your name in connection with the submitted materials and other information as well as in connection with all advertising, marketing and promotional material related thereto. You agree that you shall have no recourse against Newsroom 101 LLC for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in your communications to Newsroom 101 LLC.
- The materials on Newsroom 101 LLC’s web site are provided “as is”. Newsroom 101 LLC makes no express or implied warranties or representations and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights.
- Further, Newsroom 101 LLC does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its web sites or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
- Newsroom 101 LLC cannot and does not guarantee or warrant that material accessed on the Site will be free of infection or viruses, worms, Trojan horses, or other code that manifests contaminating or destructive properties. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures to satisfy your particular requirements for accuracy of data such as grades, and for maintaining a means external to the Site for the reconstruction of any lost data. You agree to keep a dated copy of your grades as you progress through the material.
In no event shall Newsroom 101 LLC or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption, loss of goodwill, use, grades, credits, degrees, certification, time, effort or other intangible losses, inability to use the service, the cost of obtaining substitute goods or services, unauthorized access to or alteration of your data, conduct of any third party using the services, errors or inaccuracies in the site, technical difficulties resulting in delay, loss of data, or other losses, or any other matter relating to services) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on Newsroom 101 LLC’s Internet site, even if Newsroom 101 LLC or a Newsroom 101 LLC authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage.
5. Revisions and Errata
The materials appearing on Newsroom 101 LLC’s web site could include factual, technical, typographical, photographic, or other kinds of errors. Newsroom 101 LLC does not warrant that any of the materials on its web site are accurate, complete, or current. Newsroom 101 LLC may make changes to the materials contained on its web site at any time without notice. Newsroom 101 LLC may post a list pertaining to known errors or recent changes but does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials. We ask that you notify us of any error or technical problem you encounter.
Newsroom 101 LLC has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its Internet web site and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Newsroom 101 LLC of the site. Use of any such linked web site is at the user’s own risk.
8. Governing Law
This Agreement shall all be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Florida applicable to agreements made and to be performed in Florida. You agree that any legal action or proceeding between Newsroom 101 or Newsroom 101 LLC and you for any purpose concerning this Agreement or the parties’ obligations hereunder shall be brought exclusively in a federal or state court of competent jurisdiction sitting in Florida. Any cause of action or claim you may have with respect to the Service must be commenced within one (1) year after the claim or cause of action arises or such claim or cause of action is barred.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Newsroom 101 LLC, its officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, suppliers and any third party information providers to the Service from and against all losses, expenses, damages and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, resulting from any violation of this Agreement (including negligent or wrongful conduct) by you or any other person accessing the Service.
10. Personal Conduct
By using Newsroom 101 or any service provided, you explicitly agree that:
- You will not collect or harvest any information about other users;
- You will not provide, and you will not use this web site to provide, any content or service in any commercial manner, or in any manner that would involve junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or any other form of unauthorized advertising or commerce; you will not use this web site to promote or operate any service or content without Newsroom 101 LLC’s prior written consent;
- You will not provide any content that may give rise to Newsroom 101 LLC being held civilly or criminally liable, or that may be considered a violation of any local, national or international law, including — but not limited to — laws relating to copyrights, trademarks, patents, or trade secrets.
Newsroom 101’s failure to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of this Agreement shall not be construed as a waiver of any provision or right. Neither the course of conduct between the parties nor trade practice shall act to modify any provision of this agreement. Newsroom 101 may assign its rights and duties under this agreement to any party at any time without notice to you. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.
Newsroom 101 is a registered trademark of Newsroom 101 LLC.